Focalpoint Optics Ltd

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in  

Under the wings of the Master!

Reply to topic   Post new topic    Focalpoint Forums Forum Index -> Gear Talk -> Digiscoping Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

I've recently been going out & about q.a bit with the undoubted master of digiscoping, Paul Hackett. During this time he has passed on tips and I've been watching carefully. By doing this my digiscoping has come on leaps and bounds. I'm a beginner and do not profess to be a digiscoper - just a birder who very rarely whacks a camera onto my scope and snaps a few record shots. An example is the Bar-t Godwit seen in Cumbria at the weekend, a perfectly acceptable record shot:

John Mahon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

That qualifies as better than a "for the record" shot Paul - nice phot. One for the calender perhaps ?
The Doc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Thanks very much, John. We just stopped to eat our lunch and this bird was on the estuary mud close by and I took lots of shots (as Paul Hackett told me to! - He took over 2,500 of the Sora on Scilly on Saturday to get a couple of publishable ones!!).

I'll pop it into the Calendar bit. I'm just writing up my trip up to Cumbria to see the RnPhalarope that I saw the godwit on, so I'll post my phalarope pix too Smile

Cheers Paul B

Ian Littlewood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Hey paul nice godwit....

You may be able to help, my CP 995 has packed up and i'm looking to get a new digital for D'scoping, what does mr H recommend as the cutting edge of digitals for d'scoping at the moment??

All the best Ian Littlewood

The Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Hiya Ian

The camera I use is the Contax SL33R, a great little piece of kit and that's Paul Hacketts recomendation at the mo. Well not exactly that model, as that's the 3 megapixel version that came out first. Since then there's been a 4 megapixel verion, but then it was discontinued. The one that replaced it is the Kyocera SL400R (effectively the same camera). This is in limited supply too, but Paul here at Focalpoint has a last few kits, when they're gone then that is it, no more will be available. Paul Hackett has about 3 of these babies - 1 Contax & 2 Kyoceras!!

Give Paul Longley a buzz on 01925 730399 & he'll chat you through whats in the kit etc Smile

Cheers Paul B

The Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

.... I was out yesterday and got lots of pics, a couple posted below, just pulled out at randon from the day, gives an idea of what a novice like me produces:

Cheers Paul B

Rob Smallwood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Excellent results Paul - which adaptor are you using? I'm still hand holding and haven't had the tuition - it shows - but I'm getting there!

The Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Took this pic of a Shoveler at Titchwell RSPB, the reed is a pain, but it shows that it's a real wild bird lurking in the pool edges, not a captive in a pen at a WWT place Wink

Cheers Paul B

Phil Woollen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Remember tto take teh Holly down on 12th night.............................Very Happy
The Doc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

... I'd take Holly any night.... ooh err missus, can I say that Wink:w00t:
The Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Still struggling with winters dull days, especially with a zoom eyepiece caausing low light levels. Out at weekend and took pics of a species I never thought I'd photograph, so at least I got a record shot or 2 of this Dipper:

Last one added just to show the white eyelids!!

Cheers Paul B

The Doc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

I never ever seem to practise, just go out & when I see something q.rare then try to get good shots. It's a bit hit and miss. So the other day I had a bit of a practise out of the bedroom window and took a few pix of a Starling. Here's the little beauty snuggled up cosily in the leylandii!!

Mark Payne

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: RE: Under the wings of the Master! Reply with quote

Been practicing myself with a Linnet on Hilbre. Its not as easy as it looks, this Digiscoping !!!

Reply to topic   Post new topic    Focalpoint Forums Forum Index -> Gear Talk -> Digiscoping Talk All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: