Focalpoint Optics Ltd

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in  

Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Focalpoint Forums Forum Index -> Archive: General Chat -> My Local Patch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Kessingland Beach c.70 Snow Buntings around Tern Colony. At Benacre Pits there were 7 Scaup Four adults & two Females. Also present were 8 Little Grebes.

By the side of the pits two Snow Buntings were seen with rings on their legs. Nothing of note on Benacre Broad.

At Coopers Lane Kessingland there were80 Lapwings & a single Golden Plover.

By Beach farm Benacre there seemed to be a large flock of birds, Linnets perhaps? Also several Skylarks & Chaffinches.

One Red Throated Diver flew north offhsore.
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

I Was at Kessingland Beach at Dawn & the dusky warbler was present calling & very active.by the Bus shelter. It then flew towards the sewage works & I relocated it opposite the gate with a Chiffchaff. It (Dusky) then flew into the reedbed opposite Holly Grange.
Incidentaly at least three birders there today ticked the ringed Chiffchaff instead of the dusky.
Also at dawn 54 Barnacle Geese came in from the north west at Pakefield then south past Kessingland beach. In this skien there was an adult Bar Headed Goose with them that was also with 80 Barnies at Benacre Broad. This proves that some of the birds come from Lound Water Works some 15 miles to the north west as the Bar headed Goose is a regualr there. Strange they should fly here. Perhaps they are feeding on sugar beet but I have never seen them do this, only loaf around Stubble fields.

Elsewhere 6 Scaup on Benacre Pits.
One adult win Med Gull Covehithe Broad

Soon be the big day with rain no doubt spoiling the proceedings. (As per long range forecast)
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Dusky warbler One present at Kessingland Beach by the Bus Shelter at 07:30 to 08:00 before flying onto the Sewage Works. The bird does return to the beach & may be located from here (TM536859) to the High Path Steps north of the shelter at TM535863 during the day.
It seems the bird is roosting at the beach shelter bushes.
the best time to visit is between the times above.

Also present Kessingland Beach TM538862 73 Snow Buntings

Benacre Pits Six Scaup.

Ness Point Lowestoft.
A considerable northward passage of Kittiwakes & Cormorants. Two Rock Pipits on Sea defences.

Has any east coat sea watchers noticed this too?
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

For a change everything went to plan this New Years Day. I left Lowestoft at 7am whilst it was still dark & ticked a singing Robin as my first bird of 2005. This was followed by Herring Gull & Starling. At Kessingland Beach I was the only one there & soon located the Dusky Warbler calling from a rough patch by High Path. Soon, it showed itself well as it made itís way to the small bramble patch by the bus shelter & by this time another birder had arrived to view the bird. We then spent a good hour watching the warbler feed actively around some Alexanders & down the cliff face. As the sun began to shine we both had gripping views.

As soon as it the day increased the 70 Snow Buntings were seen on the beach in flight, followed by a small flock of Greenfinch nearby. I then left the Dusky Warbler & walked off to Benacre Pits ticking a Grey Wagtail at the sluice outfall on the way. I soon added Mallard, Mute Swan, Moorhen & Gadwall on the river & Two Mute Swans. On the pits I added Redshank, Six Scaup (Three pairs) & Six Little Grebes.

Benacre Broad produced the Larus Gulls, eight Goldeneye including a fine male, a Pintail, c500 Teal, several Wigeon & Coot. A female Common Scoter was here too. At Covehithe Broad I counted well over 500 Common Gulls & a single adult winter Med Gull which was quite a challenge considering the amount of gulls I had to scan through. Nice surprises here were One Avocet, eight Juvenile Sanderlings, four Pochard & a Tufted Duck.

I then walked back to Kessingland where I found a Red throated diver on the sea close in & a Great Crested Grebe, Two 1st Winter Kittiwakes & 12 Wigeon flew south offshore.

A brilliant start to the New Year with not a drop of rain to spoil it either.

Phil Woollen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Very lucky with the rain Colin. Rain stopped play by about 14.00 in my part of Cheshire. Wasn't even ashower but a deluge!
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Very quiet today due to strong to gale force south west winds. At Kessingland Sewage Works a Grey Wagtail & a Chiffchaff was seen.

CJ

Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Suffering strong winds today this time from the west. The Dusky warbler habitat has been destroyed by builders It has not been located today. Benacre Broad is breached & the broad is empty of water. I hope these winds die down soon so that we can get some serious searching done.

Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Things seem steady at the moment. The Dusky shows well at Kessingland Beach from Dawn til about 8am then dissapears for the rest of the day. 70 Snow Buntings still grace the shingle but are now ranging as far as Benacre Sluice. We witnessed a cold weather movement on Tuesday of probably northern Lapwings. over 100 were seen on one sheep field. We are suffering dearth of Siskins, has anyone else noticed this?

There are no Fieldfares or Redwings to speak of either.

Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Here is the breach at Benacre Broad
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Still showing well today. Suddenly the locals think they are all experts on this bird. Several birders have been told by the locals that the bird has flown so they have just gotinto their cars & gone home without looking at it, Several birders have ticked Dunnock Wren & Chiffchaff!! for the dusky!?

CJ

PS it has just taken me eight minutes to post this, Can anyone explain why this is so slow?

Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Dusky Warbler showing well at Kessingland Beach at dawn. Please ignore the locals who say the bird has flown. many birders have left the site on this info before seeing the bird for themselves.

Both Benacre Broad & Benacre Pits have been seriously breached over the past two days. There is no access to the Broad from Kessingland. If the broad fills up again there could be a salt water influx that could destroy the reeds.

How many Suffolk & Norfolk sites have also been affected ?.
Colin Jacobs
Lowestoft
Colin Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

A brilliant day here with an assortment of waders & wildlfowl on the mud at Benacre. of note c.1000 Golden Plover Five Little Egrets & Four Grey Plover.
At Covehithe Broad two drake & three female Goldenye. c100 Great Crested grebes offshore drifting south & a raft of Teal (C50) on the sea.

Very cold but a great day. The broad is still breached by a deep channel.
CJ
Phil Woollen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Kessingland/ Benacre Suffolk Reply with quote

Hi Colin.

Remembr Benacre very well from my school days in Suffolk. Saw my first Long-tailed Duck here and first Velvet Scoter on the sea off the broad.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Focalpoint Forums Forum Index -> Archive: General Chat -> My Local Patch All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: